Stories From The Road

 Meine Story wurde im Newsletter von Warmshowers gefeatured 😍




Stories from the Road: About a Bicycle Travelling Woman

 “You travel alone?” “Why?” “As a young woman?” “Aren’t you afraid?”

To begin with the “why” you should know that the decision to travel around Europe by bicycle wasn’t made in the first step because of cycling. Above all, there was the decision at one point in my life to only do things that I love – without compromises – and taking my values as a compass for everything I do and despite of social norms. What motivates me, is my desire to create a world where we all think less in stereotypes and treat all human being equally, where we are less trapped in egocentric views and more open to alternative ideas in seeing the world as a whole and finally where we act less controlled by fear but much more out of love.

As I prefer actions to words, cycling around Europe was my way of making a statement. So here I am – 13 countries, 5,000 kilometers, female, 24 years old, repairing the bike on my own, wild camping now and then, enjoying nerdy conversations about bicycles just as philosophical discussions or going out for a party – riding beyond stereotypes.

Riding your bike day by day at the same time calms you down, exhausts you and makes you feel strong. It allows you to become a kid again and at the same time makes you responsible and confident as never before. It shows quite plainly that you are the one responsible for your own life and no one else. The reduction to the essentials let you appreciate the smallest things: food, a place to sleep, a bicycle and a (warm) shower. Of course, you also experience strong and contrary feelings: overwhelmed by endless happiness and all at once darkness that feels completely unbearable. But you learn how to deal with these kinds of situations on your own. Moreover, you learn to keep your positivity despite everything that is happening around you.

BUT beside from the benefits of travelling alone, the best part of my journey were – unexpectedly - the warm-hearted, open-minded and inspiring people I met via Warmshowers. They helped me to understand, that stillness is important, but we really find out who we are, when we need to spring into action, when we have to perform, when we meet other people. Because meeting other people is where we grow, it’s where love exists. They have taught me, that we do not have to “find ourselves”, but to “create ourselves”. And these beautiful Warmshower human beings made my journey unbelievably awesome and complete.

That’s why I want you to just jump on your bike, start cycling and use Warmshowers. Just ride, enjoy, trust, and love and if someone asks you: “Aren’t you afraid?”, then answer: “What of? To experience life in its most beautiful way? To meet unique people? To find peace with myself and the world?” Be a statement without words – for yourself and for others.


Kommentare